THE BASICS OF NEUTRALS
When you are furnishing your home many of our homes start with neutral colours as the wall colour and we can build our furnishings and our decorative theme from that base.
Neutral colour palette
Advantages of using neutral colours
- Soft and gentle on the eyes
- Create a feeling of well-being
- Earthy and natural
- Easy to decorate with and easy to match with colours
Styling your home with neutral furnishings
On Pinterest, I have created a board especially for styling with naturals to show furnishing ideas in this colour palette. When you look at them as a collective, you can see how soft and peaceful the use of neutral colours are. You can see my board here if you need a little inspiration.
To create this kind of look I suggest using the following kinds of items as a guide:
- Timber in various shades and colors. Note: The lighter the timber the softer the look and feel.
- Whitewashed timber furniture
- Natural linen fabrics for sofas and armchairs
- Natural brown, taupe and cream leather
- White or timber dining chairs either upholstered or non-upholstered
- Cane or rattan in white or natural finishes
- Natural wool or jute rugs
- Timber lamp stands and linen shades
- Wooden bowls
- White or natural linen bedding
- Taupe, cream or white throw rugs
Neutral paint colours that work a treat
- Dulux Hogs Bristle
- Dulux Grand Piano
- Dulux Ecru
- Dulux Raw Cotton
- Dulux Whisper White
- Dulux Natural White
- Dulux Stowe White
You can visit the Dulux Colour Gallery here >
Dulux also has a wonderful Colour App for your mobile devices which allow you to colour match any colour you see on furniture, other houses, fabrics or whatever item you please. This is really helpful when trying to match neutral colours to existing furniture and home wares.
I hope that you enjoy creating a home that you love my playing a little with neutral colours.
If you are thinking of changing your living space then this Free Living Room Design Checklist will guide you
What are your favourite neutral colours? Let me know in the comments below
Until Next Time
Love your home and those within it.